The Privy Council was a group of high-ranking government, military, and religious officials of Taglios convened by Soulcatcher during her regime, the Protectorate. They answered to the Protector (the dictator) and to the Princess, the Radisha Drah.
In Water Sleeps, the Privy Council consisted of:
- Arjana Drupada, the Purohita
- Chandra Gokhale, the Inspector-General of the Records (treasurer)
- Willow Swan, commander of the Greys (police chief)
- 3 Gunni cult leaders
- Mogaba, the Great General (commonly absent)
Sleepy, the Annalist and ranking member of the underground Black Company, would orchestrate the abductions of Purohita Drupada, Inspector-General Gokhale, and Willow Swan in Water Sleeps. Afterward, Soulcatcher added and dismissed members of the Privy Council rapidly.
The unidentified leader of the City Battalions may have been a member of the Privy Council at this time, but it was not specified.
In Soldiers Live, the Privy Council included:
- Mogaba, the Great General
- Aridatha Singh, commander of the City Battalions, and later Great General
- Ghopal Singh, commander of the Greys (police chief)
- Selvas Gupta, the Purohita
By Soldiers Live, the new Purohita, Selvas Gupta, had held the position for an impressive year.
After Soulcatcher was captured and Mogaba was killed, the Protectorate was overthrown. The Radisha and Aridatha Singh almost certainly reconstituted the Privy Council or replaced it with a similar body of leaders.