Welcome to the Black Company Wiki
Welcome to the encyclopedia of the Black Company series novels and short stories. Established in February 2012, this is a free and unofficial resource that anyone can contribute to. Structured to be a comprehensive "series bible", this project does not contain fan fiction, but talented fan artwork is welcomed.
WARNING: Please be aware this wiki contains UNMARKED SPOILERS! for all books in the series.
CAUTION: The Black Company series contains mature themes and content (15+ recommended)
Port of Shadows
The new 11th novel in the Black Company series.
"Reading his (Glen Cook) stuff is like reading Vietnam War fiction on peyote."
The Black Company
"They are complete barbarians, living out their cruelest fantasies..."
Books of Glittering Stone
The third story arc in the series.
About the Series
The Black Company series of novels and short stories by Glen Cook charts the exploits of a mercenary band fighting in various bloody wars and conflicts. Its claim to fame is the voice in which it is told – real soldiers talking like real soldiers. First published in the 1980s, it was a forerunner in dark fantasy / grimdark fiction, which includes George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones series, Steven Erikson's Malazan novels, and Kentarou Miura's Berserk.
The Black Company series/Cover gallery is a one-of-a-kind survey of the covers of this famous series. It showcases the wide variety of art, the long publication history of the series, as well as the diversity of languages into which these novels have been translated. See all the covers of the individual novels and the omnibuses in one place, organized chronologically and by language.
Like all fan-operated wikis, this project is a labor of love, and contributions from all Black Company fans are tremendously appreciated. If you would like to become involved in improving and expanding the Black Company Wiki visit our Community page and Tutorial page. If you are new to this wiki please read our Community and Editing Policies page, and if you have any questions just ask one of our Administrators. To get started visit these pages for adding New Pages, Links and general Editing.
- Wiki exclusive: as of 7 March 2020, the short story "Bone Eaters" now has a comprehensive summary article!
- New Portuguese translation: the 1st and 2nd novels of the series have been translated into European Portuguese by the publisher Saida de Emergência. External links to the publisher's pages: book 2 (ISBN: 9789897731877) and book 1 (ISBN: 9789897731648).
- New Spanish edition: a new Spanish-language publication of the third novel of the series was released 5 September 2019! The ISBNs are: 9788417671716 for the paperback, and 9788417773632 for the ePub e-book.
- Brand new novel!: Port of Shadows has finally been released after long 18 years! It is available in hardcover, e-book, and audio-book formats. Go forth and read! The Polish translation is projected to be released 1 October 2019.
- 2017 TV series announcement: a TV adaptation of the Black Company series with Eliza Dushku starring as the Lady has been announced.
|“||Fortune smiles. And then betrays.||”|
About the Author
Glen Cook (born July 9, 1944) is the author of the Black Company series, along with numerous other Science-Fiction / Fantasy Novels. This includes The Dread Empire Series, Garrett P.I. and The Instumentalities of the Night.
- User:Blue Rook/Notebook
edited by Blue Rook 12 minutes ago
Edited the section: Miscellany
- Chasing Midnight: The Dark Lord as a Teen
edited by Blue Rook 8 hours ago
edited by Blue Rook 9 hours ago
Summary: expand narrator details to introduction
edited by Blue Rook 10 hours ago
Summary: Croaker started balding by DoS
edited by Bitterwood 15 hours ago
© All works in the Black Company series covered on this wiki are the copyright of Glen Cook. In addition, all images and artwork shown on this wiki are the copyright of the respective artists and creators. Background art is copyright of Johann Blais. The Black Company Badge Icon is the copyright of Green Ronin Publishing.