- For the hardcover omnibus see: Annals of the Black Company
The Annals are the written history of the Black Company. They are recorded by the Company Annalist, a position considered so important that it carries an officer rank. Croaker once described them as the "soul of the Black Company."
Some individual books of the Annals are named after their Annalist, such as the Books of Croaker, Lady, and Murgen. Others take their name from unknown sources, such as the "Book of Set", which was recorded by Annalist Coral; and the "Book of Kette", which recorded by the Annalists Lees, Agrip, Holm, and Straw.
The annals were also fragmentary and incomplete due to several defeats in battle where records were abandoned or lost. Examples of this include the Battle of Urban and Battle of Queen's Bridge, although in the latter case they were recovered by the Lady and later returned to Croaker.
The known volumes of the Annals are:
The first three Annals Edit
- Book of the Company
- First Book of Odrick
- Second Book of Odrick
Subsequent Annals Edit
- Book of Te-Lare
- Describes a fateful battle when the Company was overrun and the early Annals were stolen. The Annalist and his understudy were both killed so the work could not be reconstructed. Lost but later recovered at the Temple of Travellers' Repose.
- Book of Kette
- Written early in the Company's second century. Recorded by the Annalists Lees, Agrip, Holm, and Straw. One section describes the time when the Company was in service to the Paingod of Cho'n Delor. During Annalist Straw's time, the Company numbered more than 6,000 strong and consisted entirely (or mostly) of black men.
- in Bleak Seasons, One-Eye confirmed that "Kette" was not the name of an Annalist. But before he could explain who Kette was, he was interrupted by Murgen. It is likely that Kette was either the Captain or the Company's employer at the time.
Annals of unknown chronology Edit
- Book of Woeg
- Describes the time when the Company was almost destroyed at the Battle of Bake, in Norssele.
- Book of Skete
- Lost and forgotten but later rediscovered at the Temple of Travellers' Repose.
- Book of Set
- Recorded by Annalist Coral. Describes the time when the Company was in service to the Archon of Bone, during the Revolt of the Chiliarchs.
- Book of Cloete
- Describes the time when the Company was in service to the Syndarchs of Dai Khomena.
- Book of Choe
- 6 other unspecified books
- All rediscovered at the Temple of Travellers' Repose alongside the Books of Te-Lare, Skete, and Choe.
Annals shortly before Croaker Edit
The Books of Croaker Edit
- First Book(s) of Croaker
- Books of the North
The Books of the South Edit
- Croaker's Book of the South (Shadow Games)
- Book of Lady (Dreams of Steel)
- Book(s) of Murgen (Bleak Seasons and She Is the Darkness)
- One-Eye's Notes (integrated into the Book of Murgen)
- One-Eye kept a number of poorly maintained notes of his travels in the south, though they were fragmentary, and made little reference to the major events going on at the time. Primarily they describe One-Eye's drunken exploits through Taglios with a number of Company members. This includes the robbery of a minor noble's gin reserves after he offers them hospitality, and as a result Prahbrindrah Drah is required to repay the lord for the damages. One-Eye eventually gives the haggard papers to Murgen upon request, and they are integrated into his own book with amendments.
- Book of Sleepy (Water Sleeps)
- Final Book of Croaker (Soldiers Live)
- Book of Arkana and Shukrat